Monday, April 22, 2013

Iced Coffee

Since the warm weather has come, my coffee dates lately have all included iced coffee. Pioneer Woman posted once about the 'art' of making iced coffee- it's not as simple as brewing coffee and letting it cool!

Now you can make iced coffee that way, but according to PW and the local coffee roaster at Shenandoah Joe's, a cold brew tastes better. I bought some Columbia roast and decided to try!

1. Mix water and coffee in a large container, using the ratio 1/2 lb ground coffee: 4 qts water. Roughly 3/4 C coffee grounds to 1 qt water.


 
Let steep 8-12 hours or overnight.
 
2. Line a fine mesh strainer with cheese cloth or paper towels and pour coffee through into another container.


 
I did this small amounts at a time, paper towels needed replacing every few cups.

 
This sludge was what was left in the paper towels.

 
And this is my first batch of cold brewed coffee!

 
Into an air-tight container and this can last last 2-3 weeks. I'm hooked, though, and I'm not so sure it will last that long :)

No comments:

Post a Comment