Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Not sleeping before nightshift

Usually the day before I work, I would be right in the middle of my pre-work nap. But since I slept from 8:30pm last night to 8:30am this morning, sleep is not coming. I didn't nap after working Sunday night, bad decision, which accounts for the super early bedtime.

What I did do Monday was go to the grocery store, find that steak was on sale, and make a delicious dinner, before going to bed.

Menu: Chili-Rubbed Steak, Sweet Potato Fries, Roasted Asparagus

Chili- Rubbed Steak from Self Magazine

- 6 oz sirloin steak
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin

1. Rub steak with spices. Cover and place in refrigerator for 20-30 minutes.

2. In an oven-safe skillet set over high heat, cook steak in 2 tsp oil for 30 seconds; flip and cook 30 seconds more.

3. Transfer skillet to the oven and broil on high 3 minutes; flip and broil 3 more minutes or until steak is cooked to desired doneness.

This made a deliciously tender steak, unlike the one I tried grilling on my George Forman before.

Sweet Potato Fries from Country Living magazine

- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground red pepper
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 2 large sweet potatoes

1.  Peel sweet potatoes and cut in halve lengthwise. Cut into strips or wedges,

2. In a bowl, combine oil and spices. Toss with sweet potatoes.

3. Arrange in a single layer on a cookie sheet and bake 30 minutes at 425*, or until edges are crisp and potatoes cooked through.

**I made a few adjustments to this recipe. I only used 1 sweet potato, so I just eyeballed the spices. I also used Emeril's Baby Bam spice to season them. It included all the above spices, plus smoked paprika and oregano.

I roasted the asparagus with salt and pepper in with the sweet potatoes and served beside the steak. It was a meal with every color and food group!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment