Tuesday, April 2, 2013

What Easter, April Fool's, and New Year's have in common

All are great times for a new start. New Year's- obviously. Easter- Jesus came to give us new life, a life to live to the fullest. April Fool's- well it's the first day of April.

Beautiful day to sit have
coffee and reading outside
So, in the spirit of Easter and April 1, I'm looking again at my New Year's resolutions and focusing again on those changes I need to make.
 



Here was my refrigerator this morning- before I went to the grocery store.

A clean slate. To fill with healthy foods to continue my 'try a new recipe weekly' resolution.

So tonight was Buffalo Chicken Burgers. I had never used ground chicken before. Surprisingly good!

It was a quick recipe to put together as well. 15 minutes, start to finish! And I even pulled out my old George Forman to grill these up!

Buffalo Chicken Burgers

- 1/2 C sliced or grated carrots
- 1 lb ground white-meat chicken
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 celery stalk (optional)
- 1/2 C panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 C blue cheese
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 1/4 C hot sauce

1. In microwave-safe bowl, combine carrots with 2 Tbs water; microwave on high, stirring every minute, until very tender, 3-4 minutes. Drain and let cool; mash carrots.

2. Mix carrots, chicken, egg whites, celery (I didn't use), breadcrumbs, and cheese (also didn't use); mix to combine.

3. Form into 3/4in thick patties (I made 5). In a second bowl, stir cornstarch into hot sauce until dissolved. Brush onto tops of patties.

4. Coat grill with nonstick spray. Grill over M-H heat for 6 minutes; flip and grill 4 minutes more. Brush each side with hot sauce when flipping.

Serve on roll or English muffin, garnish with cheese, lettuce, Ranch dressing, avocado, tomato, whatever you like. I was going to use Ranch, since I do not like Blue cheese. Then my Ranch had a layer of mold growing on the top. Who knew salad dressing ever went bad?? Not me. And I forgot to take a picture. But it was gross.


Can't wait for summer and real grilling. Except I don't know how to grill. Nor do I own a grill. So I will get myself invited to cookouts. Or plan cookouts at other people's houses. Who do have grills. And know how to use them.

No comments:

Post a Comment