Saturday, July 6, 2013

I've a thousand miles behind me, and a thousand more that I have yet to go...

I have a handful of recipes and blog posts to finish and share here, but first a long overdue post about the change in the blog look and official web sharing of what I will be up to in the coming year!

First, the blog look. I owe a huge thanks to my lovely college friend Lindsey Jo (check out her blog A Cup of Lindsey Jo) and her husband for the new look! She was endlessly patient with my questions, Type-A perfectionism, and frequent mind-changing about what I wanted. She made time for designing my blog while being an incredible example of a fabulous and fun momma to Isaac Henry and Grant, wife, and craft-extraordinaire. She's awesome and I'm so thankful for her :)

Where to begin... In a nutshell, I'm leaving my job and Charlottesville the last week of July, moving home to TN to spend some time with friends and family, and moving to the Republic of Congo at the end of August to be a nurse on the Mercy Ships. Jump to the end of this post to see more!

Until August, I will be keeping up with my resolution to try a new recipe every week and blog about it, though my posts may be interlaced with a few more reflections on life and preparing for this adventure!

Currently, I'm trying to get ready for a garage sale to hopefully minimize the things I am storing, trying to maximize time spent with people here in C'ville, check things off my C'ville bucket list and my cooking bucket list, and enjoy my last shifts at work. It's an interesting transition- I'm so excited for Africa, but at the same time sad to be leaving this community I have grown to love. It's weird- choosing to leave; not because I don't like it here, but because I know this is where God is calling me to go right now. I'm not quite sure my brain and heart have the capacity to fully grasp both of these things, much less be able to put them into words. Part of the journey and for now that is where I am.

Hopefully these questions and answers cover some of the things you are wondering!

- What exactly will you be doing?
        I will be working in the pediatric wards on the ship. I will be caring for kids after their surgeries. Occasionally there will be kids who need ICU level care that I will take care of.

- Do you know anyone?
        Sort of! Which is a better answer than no :) Working at UVA, I have met lots of great travel nurses. Just this week, a couple of them put me in touch with another nurse who will be returning to Mercy Ships for her third field service! I am so thankful to at least have a familiar name when I get there, someone willing to answer questions before I go, and reach out to me when I get there!

- What kind of hours will you work?
        I will work an average of 40-45 hours a week in 8 hour shifts. These will be rotating days/evenings/nights. In my time off, I can venture off the ship and explore, make new friends, try to work on my never ending list of books to read, and who knows what else!

- Where exactly will you be?
       The Africa Mercy will be ported in Pointe Noire, Republic of Congo.

- What language do they speak there?
        Mainly French, but also local languages, Kituba and Lingala.

- Is it safe?
         The Congo has had a multi-party political system since the early 1990s and a relatively stable political state since then. (This is not the war torn and unruly DRC that is commonly thought of when Congo is mentioned.) Mercy Ships also takes conservative safety precautions in every country they go to. So yes. And my mother says that if I get taken by pirates, they will realize that I talk too much and give me back.

- Will you be able to cook/bake?!
        I don't know! This is one of the big questions in my mind also! My meals are provided for, though maybe I could volunteer with the kitchen crew :) I know there is a crew kitchen that we are allowed to use. So I think I will be able to cook occasionally, it will just be a question of what, based on what ingredients are available!

- Are you going to be paid?
        Mercy Ships likes to say that their volunteers "pay for the privilege to serve," which is exactly how I see it. I have known this is what I wanted to do for a long time and have been saving for this opportunity for a long time.

- What happens when you are done?
        I don't know! I have a long bucket list of things I want to do and places I want to visit, so I'm trying to keep an open heart and mind about what is next!

Here's where my Mercy Ships journey started. 
August 2013-

I was 14 when I first read of Mercy Ships (Angel of Mercy by Lurlene McDaniel). I decided with the all the wisdom of an 8th grader that this is what I was going to do with my life.

Now, starting this August, I'll be serving as a volunteer nurse on the world's largest non-governmental hospital ship for 10 months. We will be ported in Pointe- Noire, Republic of Congo. My contract at this point is through June of 2014. Read my first blog post and FAQs about this here :)

Mercy Ships follows the model of Jesus to 'bring hope and healing to the world's forgotten poor.' I'll be serving with strangers (at first) from all around the world providing free health care and surgeries to those desperate for what we have to give. Check out their website under the Mercy Ships tab! 


Why now?

I'm 23 years old and I've been a pediatric intensive care unit (PICU) nurse for the past 2 years. Every day, good or bad, I leave my job knowing this is what I was made to do. (Despite my bold statement the first day of my pediatrics class "I will never work with kids...") 

I work with 10th grade girls at my church, have great friends, incredible co-workers, a supportive family, and live in a great community. I'm blessed beyond measure and I'm comfortable here.

Yet I've been waiting on this day for years. To be challenged, stretched, emptied, and changed in ways I never have been before. To experience a joy so deep words can't describe. To recognize my need for Jesus at every moment, for my heart to ache for his overflowing love, a need and longing I often forget here.

Is it still scary? Yep. Am I overwhelmed? Daily. Excited? More than ever!

But my God is faithful to make every dream come true; I am confident this is just the beginning.



"Dance With Me" Ben Rector



No comments:

Post a Comment