Thursday, August 1, 2013

As long as I remember where I'm from...

That these last couple weeks have been a whirlwind is an understatement. To say I have felt loved and encouraged is an even bigger understatement.

I said over and over that it is only because of God's goodness to me over the past 2 years that it is so hard to leave. I have come to love the community I have in Charlottesville, the church family, my friends, and my work family. It was fitting that I spent my last several nights in C'ville at work- doing what I love with the greatest coworkers.

These people have taught me how to be a PICU nurse- how to do things I never thought I would do, how to ask for help when I need it, how to keep pushing when I know something is wrong, how to love these children and families. Every day (and night) they are there, fighting for each child with compassion and grace, even when they aren't given nearly the respect they deserve for the job they do. They kept me laughing through the toughest moments.


Here are some moments from my last night- I promise we did do work as well!






Yes, these people know me and my love for Princess Kate and threw Prince George a baby shower. It was awesome!! So thankful for these people!

The last couple weeks provided some opportunity for new recipes as well, which I will spread out over a few posts. I made cupcakes to take to work for my birthday.


I had made a version of these before, and had promised Meagan that I would make them again before I left so she could try them. I used a new cake recipe though, and its the winner. It's the Cake Boss's chocolate cake recipe- of course it's good- he's the Cake Boss.



Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Cupcakes

- 1 1/2 C cake flour
- 1 1/2 C sugar
- 8 Tbs (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/3 C cocoa
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 C melted unsweetened Baker's chocolate
- 1/2 C hot water
- 2 extra-large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 C buttermilk
- 24 Reese's miniatures, unwrapped

1. Preheat the oven to 350*. Line muffin pan with cupcake liners or silicone baking cups. Unwrap Reese's. Try not to eat too many. It's convenient that the smallest package has lots more than 24!





















2. Mix flour, sugar, butter, cocoa, baking soda, and baking powder in a stand mixer on slow, until the ingredients are just blended. Raise the speed to low-medium and continue to mix until smooth.


3. Stop the mixer and pour in the chocolate.


 
4. Mix for 1 minute, then while the mixer is still going, pour in the hot water. 


5. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, after each has been mixed in well.


6. Pour in the buttermilk. Stop the mixer occasionally to scrape the bottom to make sure all the ingredients get fully incorporated.




7. Fill each cupcake pan about halfway full. Place a Reese's miniature in the center of each cupcake.


 

8. Bake until the cake is springy to the touch, about 20-22 minutes, but keep a close eye on them. The Reese's Cup should have a melted sheen.


9. Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack and cool to room temperature. These can be kept in an air tight container for up to a day until icing.


Peanut Butter Frosting

- 2 sticks butter, room temperature
- 2 C powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1 C creamy peanut butter
- 1 bag Reese's minis

1. Beat peanut butter and butter together until light and fluffy. Add vanilla. Slowly add powdered sugar and heavy cream, alternating between the two until well combined.


Frost cupcakes and add a Reese's mini and/or a drizzle of melted chocolate for garnish!







"Can't Go Wrong"- Phillip Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment