Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Peanut Butter Jelly Time

Not the first post I thought I'd make from Africa this time. But- it is just that! I am in the Congo- finally :) The trip was eventful (will post about that later...) and I'm happy to just be here. I have no luggage. Thankfully I work/live in a hospital that has a plethora of scrubs I can borrow and very generous roommates , who are willing to share a few other essentials I need. I tried to post a few pictures, but until I can use my own computer, they will have to wait :/

Last night, I was tired and overwhelmed. Almost ready to come home. Almost. Based on my travel experience, who knows when I would actually get there...

This morning, I decided to stay. This place is bizarre in the most wonderful ways. This morning, our hospital staff gathered together at 7:30, not to start a shift. To worship and pray over this field service and tomorrow's selection day. Our hospital director spoke of our working focus for the year. First, to focus on our team. Second, to focus on our work. Third, to focus on our patients.

Patients last? Our team. We are the hands and feet here. Our hearts must committed and focused on the reason we are here. On Jesus, the one who brought me, the doctors, the nurses, the cooks, the housekeepers, and the patients to this place.

Our work. It is what we are called to do. It is how we will show these patients and these people of Congo the love of Christ.

And the patients. They are the reason we are here and I can't wait to meet them. To snuggle those little kiddos right up to me!

Tonight after dinner, many gathered in the dining hall to make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for the selection day tomorrow. We will feed every crew member working and the patients waiting in line. Our task was to make 1,700 sandwiches. People who wandered into the dining room joined in, they weren't forced to help, they just wanted to be a part of serving. And we were done in 45 minutes :)

Most everyone I have talked to quit their jobs to come. Who does that?? We don't have a life plan for afterwards. So we will live, learn, work, and trust together, knowing that God has a plan. We are all in the same boat. Literally.



"Peanut Butter Jelly Time"

3 comments:

  1. Love it Beck! What a great mission statement! Proud of ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO glad you made it there safely. I want to hear more about your traveling experience -- no luggage?? I bet that's difficult to deal with, but I'm glad your new community is better at sharing than me :) Thanks for posting - it's so good to get an update!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post brought tears to my eyes! This is so awesome for you and so many others! For what it's worth, when I traveled to California I cried to my dad and said I wanted to go home... probably the the normal response in your situation for sure! Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete