Wednesday, August 21, 2013

I got my ticket for the long way round, one with the prettiest of views!

Tomorrow....bags are packed, malaria meds started, crafts are started/finished, dinner made :) Well, not tonight's dinner. We're eating out, because it may be a while before I get to have Thai food.

I have been working on re-quilting my old baby blanket, after so many years, it was loved to shreds... But finally, 2 days before I leave, it is finished! Sorry for the poor quality photo. The small bears were from my original blanket.

I also got to try many new recipes this past week. Some don't have pictures and I followed the recipe exactly, so I've just got the link for you. However, these two were my favorites!

The first is Pioneer Woman Calzones. So simple and so delicious. Everybody chose different toppings and got exactly what they wanted!

The other was a mac and cheese Perry pulled out of my recipe binder that I made for us one night. It has a little kick too! Cajun Mac and Cheese I did add some spicy chipotle pepper jack to this one too.

One of my good-byes was a breakfast date, where I made PW's French Bread Casserole. Obviously I have been reading PW's blog a lot. And I had these ingredients on hand to use up. I used a leftover loaf of French bread we had; she used cinnamon raisin bread, for the win. Next time...


French Bread Casserole adapted from Pioneer Woman

- French bread (or cinnamon raisin bread- what I will use next time!)
- 4 whole Eggs
- 1 C milk (whole or 2% are best)
- 1/4 C heavy cream (I used Half and Half)
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbs vanilla

- Topping


1. Butter glass baking dish. Place slices in baking dish, allowing to overlap. Use as much bread as you want/have.


2. Mix eggs, milk, cream, sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla in a small bowl.


3. Pour over bread slices slowly, allowing the bread to drink up as much as the mixture as possible.


4. Make topping- I used leftover topping that I had frozen from this Blueberry Crumb Cake. It's easy to throw together though! A few tablespoons cold butter, 1/4 C flour, 1/4 C brown sugar, sprinkle of cinnamon, and a pinch of slat. Mix together with your hands.  Sprinkle over top. 



5. Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.

6. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350*. Bake covered for 30 minutes, then uncovered for 15-20 more minutes, until tops are lightly browned.



"Cups" - Anna Kendrick

No comments:

Post a Comment