Saturday, August 17, 2013

Roommates, Christmas, and Jambalaya

This weekend was incredibly special. I got to spend some time in Nashville with my college roomies and friends. It was a sweet time of catching up, being prayed for, and encouraged before this adventure. And we celebrated Christmas! They know Christmas is my favorite, so Friday night, Clarissa and Kelli's apartment was decked out in lights, tinsel, bows, red, green, and carols! I'm spoiled with incredible friends :)
 
Friday is the day- so soon! I have semi-packed, but have several projects and things that I still want to do this week, so packing will come :) I'm so ready to go, this time at home has been so good, and I am just getting antsy to go! I can't wait to be in Africa again, to meet new friends, to learn how to be a nurse on a ship, to live on a ship, and to love on some kiddos. I've missed that!
 
But until then, I'll be sharing what I've been cooking! And since I was talking about roomies, here is a favorite from college. Em introduced me to this Jambalaya and the fam approved :)
 
Jambalaya
 
- 2 C dry rice
- 4 C water
- 2 Tbs butter
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 bunch green onions, diced
- 5-6 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 lb Andouille sausage
- 1/2 lb diced ham
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- Creole seasoning to taste
- Shrimp, optional
 
1. Combine rice and water in a medium saucepan and cover. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cook 20 minutes. Remove from the heat.
 
 
 
2. While rice is cooking, chop bell pepper, onions, green onions, ham, and sausage.
 
 
 
 
 
 
3. Add green pepper and onions to melted butter in dutch oven and cook until tender.  
 
 
4. Add garlic and season heavily with Creole. 
 
 
5. Add sausage and ham, cook, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes.
 
 
 
 6. Meanwhile, boil shrimp for 1-2 minutes. Then drain and add into Dutch oven. Season again with Creole.

 
 
7. Rice should have absorbed water and fluffed up. Add tomato sauce and then cooked rice. 
 
 
 
 
 
 8. Cook 10 more minutes, until everything is heated through, seasoning with Creole to taste!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment