Friday, February 1, 2019

Sweet Potato Turkey Chili

It's been almost three years since I've written a post on this blog and a lot has changed since! Then again, it's Friday night and I'm at home making a grocery list for my ~third~ grocery trip of the week, so maybe nothing has changed. 

I still don't know how best to keep my favorite recipes- recipe cards, on the blog, Pinterest? So as I was searching again for my new favorite chili recipe I decided to add it here!

After being a travel nurse for the past 4.5 years and moving every three months, I've now settled in Boston! I work as an ICU float pool nurse, so I get to "travel" throughout the units at work, but I get to live in the same place for longer than three months! It's my first Northeast winter, but thus far I'm surviving. The single digit temps lead me to wanting warm soups and chilis for dinner, basically every day. I have favorite chicken chili and traditional chili recipes (both from my mom!) that I try to keep on hand in the freezer. But I was looking for variety! 

Enter Sweet Potato Turkey Chili (originally from Pinch of Yum). It has a smoky spice which the sweet potato balances perfectly. And now it's a permanent in my rotation. No photos this time- but trust me, it's good. 

Sweet Potato Turkey Chili

- 1 Tbs oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1.5 lbs ground turkey
- 2 Tbs chili powder
- 2 Tbs taco seasoning
- 3 sweet potatoes, chopped into small pieces 
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 C water
- 2-3 C broth (start with 2)
- 1 (14oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- cayenne to taste (I leave it out- chili powder is enough spice for me!)

1. Heat the oil over medium high heat in dutch oven. Add the onion and saute until tender. Add turkey, 1 Tbs chili powder, and 1 Tbs taco seasoning. Add water as needed to keep the turkey moist and moving around the pan. When the turkey is browned and the onions are soft (key! crunchy onions are not good in chili), remove to a plate. 

2. Add the sweet potatoes to the same pot with the remaining spices and stir. When the potatoes have browned just slightly, add the garlic, water, and 2 C broth. Bring to a low boil and simmer until the sweet potatoes are very soft (10 min or so). Using an immersion blender, puree the mixture until it reaches your desired consistency. I did not puree completely, I like some of the sweet potatoes to still be diced!

3. Add the turkey, black beans, and cayenne if desired! Third cup of broth can be added to thin out if needed. Stir and serve with sour cream, chips, and cheese!

Now if anyone has a good vegetable chili recipe, my collection will be complete....









No comments:

Post a Comment