Saturday, March 2, 2013

Blueberry Biscuits...ehhh Scones?

I will catch up on my blogging! This biscuit recipe was a Pinterest recipe. I was looking for new biscuit recipes to make for Beach Weekend and blueberries were on sale last week- so this was what happened! And they were delicious- by my own biscuit standards (where Cracker Barrel biscuits reign superior)- and I took them to work and they got good reviews. Well, they all got eaten and not trashed- which I always take as a good review :)

Blueberry Biscuits


- 2 C flour, I used white wheat
- 1 C milk
- 1/3 C sugar
- 5 Tbs butter
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 oz blueberries, recipe says fresh or dried, I used fresh





1. Preheat oven to 450F. Sift salt, sugar, flour, and baking powder in a bowl.

2. Add the super cold milk into dry ingredients and mix.


3. As dough begins to form take each tablespoon of really cold butter and mix into dough with pastry cutter (or fork and knife). 










 
4. Fold dough and knead.

5. Move dough to floured cutting board and roll flat to about ¼ - ½ thick (or to desired thickness) and cut approximately 6 biscuits with a biscuit or cookie cutter. Or top of a cup if you have no circle cookie cutters.
6. Place in oven and bake for about 7-12 minutes.

 
Optional glaze topping: Mix 1 C powdered sugar, 1/8 C water, 1 tsp vanilla, and 1/2 tsp lemon juice together and drizzle over biscuits.

 
** Confession: I was making the second batch of these biscuits the night Julie came over for dinner while we were talking after dinner. As I was putting the first tray of biscuits in the oven, I remembered. I hadn't added the butter. You are supposed to leave the butter in the refrigerator until right before you put it into the dough, so it doesn't melt, and I completely forgot. We voted to go ahead and bake them and see what happens.

Well what happened was the tasted great! They were more cake-like and a bit more dense that the previous batch but they tasted good. So the butter in this recipe does not affect the taste but the texture. All that to say, don't leave the butter out!









      No comments:

      Post a Comment