Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Neely's Spicy Mac and Cheese

It's once again been a while since I have blogged. My apologies to my faithful reader, Em. But SB '13 seems to be a great time to catch up on some recipes. Yes, SB '13. I know I am a sophomore in life but one should never pass up the opportunity to tag along for a free spring break with the fam. It just wouldn't be right to force Per to spend another week as the center of Mom and Dad's attention.

So this week I am not cooking- just doing lots of eating. We have visited 2 Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives (thank you, family, for indulging this obsession). Blackwater Grill and Southern Soul Barbecue. Both delicious. But Southern Soul is hands down my favorite DDD I have visited. Perfection. Who knew that fried green beans were a southern delicacy? Not I. Thank you, Guy Fieri.

The recipe I am sharing this week is also from the Food Network. A friend from work had told me that this mac and cheese recipe was a must try for anyone who loves mac and cheese. So after I got power back after our snow storm, over a foot, I tried out this recipe for a cold few days stuck inside.


Spicy Macaroni and Cheese with Chorizo Sausage Courtesy of The Neely's

- 1 lb penne pasta
- 3 C cherry tomatoes
- 2 tsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 pkg chorizo, casings removed and finely chopped
- 6 Tbs butter
- 1/2 C flour
- 4 C milk, warm
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 Tbs hot sauce
- 1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 2 C shredded Monterrey pepper jack
- 1 C sharp white cheddar

1. Cook the pasta in salted water until al dente. Drain in colander.

2. Spread cherry tomatoes on a sheet tray, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes at 350* until visibly plump and softened.

3. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 2 tsp of olive oil and saute chorizo in pan until crisp. Remove to paper towel covered plate.

4. Melt butter in a large sauce pot over medium heat. Add flour, stirring for 1 minutes. Whisk in the warmed milk and bring to a boil. Continue to whisk constantly. Stir while adding the mustard, hot sauce, and Worcestershire. Stir in the cheese; reserving 1/2 C for topping. The mixture will thicken as the heat increases.

5. Pour drained pasta into the cheese sauce and mix well. Add to 3-qt casserole dish. Add the chorizo and roasted cherry tomatoes. Bake for 35 minutes. Can be made ahead, covered, and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before baking, if refrigerated.

IMG_0103.JPG


No comments:

Post a Comment