Thursday, June 20, 2013

Marsala Chicken and Mushroom Casserole

Last week, I was really frustrated with this food blogging and the recipes I had been trying. I didn't think that I had tried anything really great and worth sharing lately. I found my list of all the recipes I had tried last year though, when I also tried at new recipe every week, and realized that there were lots of recipes that tasted great and are worth repeating and sharing! I'm trying to figure out how I want to share these/ store these for myself. Do I keep them as tabs on Pinterest? Do I write them in my recipe book? Do I print them and put them in my recipe scrapbook? Do I share them on here? My life is full of hard decisions.

I haven't figured out exactly what I want to do yet, but I may start sharing the really good ones on here :)

I also realized that I hadn't cooked in over a week. And when I cooked last night, I enjoyed myself. So I shouldn't go so long without cooking- it's relaxing and fun for me.

And last night's recipe was so good. So good. Worth sharing. And worth you making. You should- easy and delicious!

This is from EveryDay with Rachel Ray magazine. My friend Jess and I were babysitting overnight for a friend from work and needed something good to make. Frozen chicken fingers and french fries just weren't going to cut it for us! This recipe can be adapted many ways- with or without wine, with or without mushrooms (or just mushrooms over half, how I will make it for my family at home!), whatever kind of rice you like. And it will be delicious!

Marsala Chicken and Mushroom Casserole courtesy of EveryDay with Rachel Ray

- 2 Tbs butter
- 10 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 1/2 Tbs flour
- 1/2 C marsala wine or white wine
- 1/2 C heavy cream (I used light cream)
- 2 C water
- 2 Tbs chopped parsley (or dried parsley)
- salt and pepper
- 1 C long-grain rice
- 2 C chopped rotisserie chicken
- 2 Tbs grated Parmesan cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350*. In a large skillet, heat the butter over medium-high heat until just melted.


2. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.













3. Sprinkle flour on top and stir in.


4. Stir in the marsala and cream and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir in 2 C water, the parsley, 1 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper.

 
 
 
5. In a greased 9 x 13 in casserole dish, spread the rice in an even layer; top with the chicken.
























6. Pour the mushroom gravy on top. Cover snugly with foil and bake until bubbly, about 35 minutes. Discard the foil, sprinkle the Parmesan on top and bake for 5 minutes more.

 Eating dinner next to a sunset like this with a great friend, no better way to end a day!



No comments:

Post a Comment