Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Like a ship in the night, so far gone tonight

Reminders that I am far from home are constant here. And tonight, as I sit out here eating graham crackers (comfort of the week), I am almost convinced that this would be easier if I were out in a small village in Africa, far from anything Western.


In Uganda, nothing was familiar; I had only my faith which had brought me there to rely on. We treated the basics, doing the best we could with the few supplies and resources we had.

Here, we have a ship shop full of American candy, graham crackers, and chips. We have Starbucks, Wifi, functioning iPhones, and buffet style meals (and even sweet tea yesterday!). In the hospital, we have a CT scanner, ventilators, IV pumps, medications, and modern operating rooms.

Yet today I found myself mourning the fact that I am missing Pumpkin Spice Lattes at Starbucks at home and Pecan Pumpkin Cheesecake from Cheesecake Factory, more than I care to really admit. Maybe it's not the coffee or cheesecake itself, but what it represents. Fall- the most beautiful season in my opinion, football season, driving an hour with good friends just to get cheesecake- memories from home that I cherish.

In Uganda, I wasn't jealous that someone else packed a can of pumpkin puree or chocolate chips in their bag. Or that others brought more movies, a hair dryer, or scarves and cardigans.

I find it leaves me wanting more, but at the same time less. If I weren't so near to all of this, if I were really out "in" Africa, I wouldn't be reminded of the things that I miss today. If electricity was only an occasional luxury, if rice and beans were the menu every night, if 'to shower' meant pouring buckets of cold water over my head, maybe then...

But there are other reminders. These faces. These surgical incisions that will soon fade to scars and memories of life "before."

Ebenezer, before


Ebenezer, after

Vernel, and he's just as cute after!

These remind me that I am far from home. Faces and lives changed. Changes that would be impossible in the middle of a village, without our ship of plenty.

Arphonse


Presley

Merveille

They remind me that it is not about me. It is for His glory. They remind me that even when I feel far away, from home, from the Africa I remember, He has promised to meet me here.


"So Far Gone" - Thousand Foot Krutch

No comments:

Post a Comment