Monday, September 30, 2013

Round 2

Sunday morning we had a second brunch. It included breakfast Stromboli, cheese scones, eggs, bacon, and muffins. We carb load well around here. 


I tried two recipes- one new recipe and a different version of one I have tried before!

During my exploring here, we have found many good bakeries/patisseries. I knew I could find good bread, so I wanted to try French Toast Casserole again. I used the same recipe (except I doubled what is written here, I had halved the original), I just assembled it differently, based on a couple different recipes.

Find yourself some good French bread. And some good friends to cook with :)

 








This time I spread half of the cinnamon, sugar, butter mixture on the bottom of the casserole dish, instead of just covering the top of the bread. This was a good decision.
 
Then pour the egg, cream, milk, and vanilla over the top. Next time, I would dip each slice of bread in the egg mixture before placing it in the dish, then pour the remaining over top. Most of the mixture was soaked up by the bread overnight, but dipping it would ensure it was all covered.
 




Cover the top with the remaining cinnamon sugar, refrigerate overnight, and bake!
 
 
The second recipe was from the PICU Gourmet cookbook, courtesy of my friend Brandon. Apples are abundant here and I may or may not have stockpiled quite a few in my room for snacks. So I decided to use them here. What we do not have are crescent rolls. So I had to make my own!
 
Apple Dumplings
 
- 2 large or several small apples, peeled, cored, and cut into wedges
- 2 cans crescent roll dough, or homemade dough (below)
- 1 C butter
- 1 1/2 C sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 (12 oz) can Mountain Dew (seriously! it's the secret ingredient)
 
1. Preheat oven to 350*. Grease 9x13 baking dish.
 
2. Roll each apple wedge (or 2 small wedges) in crescent roll dough, starting at the smallest end. Pinch to seal and place in the baking dish.

3. Melt butter in a small saucepan and stir in the sugar and cinnamon. Pour over the apple dumplings.
 

 
 
4. Pour Mountain Dew over the dumplings.
 


5. Bake 35-45 minutes at 350* or until golden brown and flaky.
 
 
Homemade Crescent Rolls
 
- 2 Tbs yeast
- 1 C barely warm water
- 2/3 C sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 C butter
- 1 C boiling water
- 3 beaten eggs
- 6 C flour
 
**This recipe makes A LOT! I would halve it next time- I had plenty to make a batch of plain rolls as well**
 
1. In a bowl combine the yeast, warm water, and a pinch of sugar. Set aside. It will foam up!
 2. In a large mixing bowl, combine 2/3 C sugar, salt, butter, and boiling water. Stir until the butter melts and the water is cool.
 

 
3. Add the beaten eggs to the yeast. Then slowly pour mixture into mixing bowl.
 
 
4. Use a dough hook or paddle with mixer on a slow speed. Slowly add 6 C flour, about 1 C at a time. Dough will be sticky.
 


5. Cover bowl tightly with saran wrap or transfer dough to Ziploc Bag and refrigerate overnight. The dough will rise and firm up.
 
 
6. The next day, roll the dough onto a floured board. Roll so it is 1/4 in thick and cut into triangles.
 


7. Roll triangles up starting at the wide end for regular rolls.
 
8. Let rise at room temperature for 2-2.5 hours. They will double in size. (For dumplings, I left the triangles to rise on the counter, unrolled.
 
9. Bake at 400* for 10 minutes, or until golden and flaky!



No comments:

Post a Comment