Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Blog happy


In my last post, I said I was unsure whether this blog was a good idea. And then I immediately start on the next post.

The first week of the new year has been full of opportunity. To catch up with friends, see new movies, discover yet another TV series to follow (Downton Abbey!!), and, the point of this blog, try new recipes! This week alone I have tried a handful already- for those who think I don't work, I am going to work every night this weekend, so I have to have leftovers readily available.

Sunday afternoon I had some extra time, so I was able to make a meal entirely of new recipes. Never would I try this when cooking for other people, I usually stick to one new recipe if I'm cooking for a friend, because if it all tastes bad, what do you eat? If its only me, I can always make a quesadilla.

Sunday was Baja Fish Tacos from the MOW (Meals on Wheels) cookbook, with Fall Harvest Couscous and Sweet Potato Zucchini Fritters. The fish tacos were nothing special. But the couscous and fritters, delicious.

Fall Harvest Couscous recipe- Whole Foods Market

- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2 in pieces
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 Tbs EVOO
photo.JPG- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 C couscous
- 1/3 C chicken broth
- 1 Tbs butter
- 1/3 C dried cranberries
- 1/4 C chopped flat leaf parsley
Opt: 1/3 C golden raisins
        1/2 C chopped pecans

1) Combine squash, onion, EVOO, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, and pepper. Spread evenly on baking sheet. Roast at 425* for 25-30 min.
2) Bring chicken broth, butter, cranberries, squash, and onions to simmer in large saucepan. Add couscous. Cover, take from heat, and let sit for 10 min.
3) Stir in pecans, parsley, salt and pepper to taste. Fluff with fork and serve.
        Can be eaten warm, room temp, or straight from the refrigerator.

Again I apologize for the non-staged, low lighting, iPhone photo. It will get better. As soon as I remember to take a moment to take a decent picture before diving in....

The Sweet Potato-Zucchini fritters were a Pinterest recipe, found
here. I said I would try to make less Pinterest recipes- not none ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment