Saturday, January 12, 2013

White Bean, Spinach, and Sausage Stew

This soup recipe is from our New Year's Eve celebration. It was delicious so I, of course, asked for the recipe and tried it myself! I made a couple adaptations to it, and had a friend over for dinner to try it with me. Another keeper.

The original recipe used escarole instead of spinach, which was really good, but I couldn't find escarole when I was shopping and had some frozen spinach in the freezer so I used that. I also used dried beans instead of canned beans. Because they are cheaper. And I am anti-cans. Sometimes- you can't beat the fire roasted tomatoes, that come in a can.


White Bean, Spinach, and Sausage Stew

- 1 tsp olive oil
- 8 oz Italian sausage- casings removed, break into chunks
- 5 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 package spinach leaves (or 2 C frozen spinach)
- 3 cups white beans
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 T butter
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 1 C fire roasted diced tomatoes, drain most juice
- 2 Tbs chopped parsley
- salt and fresh pepper to taste

1) In a large deep skillet or soup pot, heat olive oil and brown sausage.
             (I would drain and rinse the sausage next time)
2) Add garlic and red pepper- cook about 2 mins.
3) Add spinach- cook, stirring until wilted. If using frozen spinach, add after beans and broth.
4) Add beans and cook 1 minute.
5) Add chicken broth and bring to a gentle boil.
6) Add butter, cheese, tomatoes, and half the parsley. Mix to combine and cook until the soup is heated through
7) Add salt and pepper to taste


Serve in heated bowls, sprinkled w/ remaining parsley, drizzled w/ olive oil and topped w/ grated parmesan. With a side of good crusty bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment