Saturday, January 26, 2013

Crockpot Love




I love my crockpot. A 'try to use my crockpot once a week' type of love. This week was a recipe from Real Simple Magazine. I had pulled it out a while ago, but was looking for something that I had most of the ingredients for already, cause I didn't want to leave my house in the 20* weather unless absolutely necessary.

What I didn't have for this recipe was good pasta. So I bundled up and headed to Mona Lisa Pasta, which has all types of flavors of fresh pasta, that they will cut to any shape you want. I asked the guy at the counter which was his favorite and this was his recommendation. And it was absolutely worth leaving the house in 20* weather for this Black Pepper Fettucine to go with this dish.

Pasta with Slow-Cooker Beef Ragu
Pasta with Slow-Cooker Pork Ragù- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 Tbs tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1.5 lbs beef bottom roast
- fettuccine

1) Combine carrot, onion, garlic, topmato paste, thyme, oregano, 3/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper in slow cooker. Add the tomatoes and juices. Add the beef and turn to coat

2) Cover and cook until the beef is tender, low for 7-8 hours or high for 5-6 hours.

3) When beef is done, shred with a fork and mix it into cooking liquid. Cook pasta according to directions. Toss pasta with the ragu and sprinkle with Parmesan.

The original recipe uses a boneless pork shoulder, I had beef in the freezer, so I used it. The pork may shred better than the beef did, but it still tasted good!

Now I may turn into a spoiled fresh pasta type person...

No comments:

Post a Comment