Monday, January 14, 2013

Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins

This morning I woke up to a steady drizzle. I was supposed to walk and talk with my mentor and fellow discipleship leader, Dawn, but after a few texts, we decided on coffee and watching the rain.

While I waited for her to arrive, I thought about breakfast. This was about 5 minutes, it doesn't take me long to get thinking about my next meal. My normal breakfast on a day like this is hot oatmeal with honey topped with a little peanut butter and banana. Oatmeal, however, isn't really great for sharing. So with a couple lemons on hand, I searched for a lemon poppy seed muffin recipe. I found one in Joy of Cooking.

Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins

- 2 cups all-purpose flour (I used half AP and half white whole wheat)
- 1 Tbs baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 Tbs poppy seeds
- 2 large eggs
- 1 C milk
- 2/3 C sugar or light brown sugar 
- 1/4 C vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbs grated lemon zest
- 1 Tbs fresh lemon juice

1) Mix flour, baking powder, salt and poppy seeds together. In another bowl, combine remaining ingredients.

2) Slowly add dry ingredients to wet and whisk until dry ingredients are moistened. Do not over mix, batter will not be smooth.

3) Fill muffin cups 3/4 full and bake at 400* for 15-17 minutes.

     Results: Pretty tasty!
DSC_0677.JPG
I made a few adaptations, in the recipe above, that I would use next time- more lemon zest and using lemon juice. Mine didn't not have as strong a lemon flavor as I like (I base my preference on the Martha White just add water version), but still were good and I would make this recipe again!


I also got to play with a new baking toy with this recipe. My secret santa at work, Nina, got me lots of fun baking tools, including these silicone baking cups.
DSC_0682.JPG
DSC_0688.JPG              


     Aren't they fun?!?           
                                         


    DSC_0685.JPG

They also work really well! The muffins popped right out without sticking at all, no more losing half the muffin (or worse, cupcake!) to the wrapper. Thanks Nina!

These muffins with a cup of coffee (or two, or three) and great conversation made for a lovely rainy morning! Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment