Thursday, January 24, 2013

A first- successful icing!

I'm sitting here watching Pioneer Woman "Cook for One" and my list of recipes is growing. Pasta with Pancetta and Leeks? Definitely on the list to try!

I'm excited about this post for two reasons. 1) The cupcakes were a success- this comes from a co-worker I consider to be an expert food critic, not just me! 2) I remembered to take pictures throughout the process!

Work was having a bake sale to benefit one of unit councils. The same food critic co-worker had put this cupcake recipe in my mailbox at work. Easy decision of what to make!

These cupcakes are from this month's Food Network magazine. They are the featured recipe for the Name This Dish! contest, so they technically don't have a name yet. I call them Strawberry Surprise!

Strawberry Surprise Cupcakes


Yes, I realize baking soda is in the picture,
 but baking powder is in the recipe.
 Do as I say, not as I do.
- 1 1/2 C flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature                      
- 3/4 C granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 C strawberry-flavored milk
- strawberries, hulled


1) Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.

2)  Beat butter and granulated sugar in a large bowl with mixer on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.


3) Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then beat in the vanilla. Reduce the mixer speed to low; beat in the flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with the strawberry milk, beginning and ending with flour, until just combined.

4) Divide batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, 25- 20 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes in the pan, then remove to a rack to cool completely.

Silicone baking cups-
my new favorite!
                
     



Chocolate Frosting "Insanity"- says the food critic

- 2 C confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 C unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 C heavy cream
- strawberries for garnish

1) Sift confectioners' sugar and cocoa powder into a medium bowl. Transfer half of the sugar-coca mixture to a large bwl; add the butter and 1/4 C cream and beat with a mixer on medium-high speed until smooth.

2) Add remaining sugar-coca mixturea nd 1/4 C cream and beat until fluffy. Transfer to pastry bag.


ASSEMBLE CUPCAKES:

- Remove the center of each cupcake. Use a paring knife. Or if you got a fancy- schmancy cupcake corer from your secret santa, you can use that!

- Stuff each cupcake with a strawberry!





- Frost with chocolate frosting.


I usually fail at frosting. I have never been a big fan of icing, so its never been a big priority for me to perfect icings. However, some cupcakes and cakes are not complete without it! And so I usually buy a can of frosting. But THIS frosting is a keeper! It tastes good and it was easy to make!


No comments:

Post a Comment