Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Will work out for food!


Balance. Something I know is necessary, but have such a hard time achieving. Half of my New Year's resolutions revolve around trying new recipes, new ingredients, new restaurants, and connecting with friends, which so many times happens while eating!

Another group of resolutions focuses on being healthy- losing a few inches would be welcome, thank you night shift...- trying new exercises, playing outside, and routinely going to the gym.

So how do both of these sets of resolutions happen? And which should I devote more of my time and energy too? Well I know which I would like to devote ALL of my time and energy too, but I know I am called to balance the joy I get from cooking/eating good food and honoring this one body I get for this life. So the title of this post will serve as a reminder of trying to achieve balance!

Now onto the good stuff aka food and recipes! I started this new year with having several unexpected days off so I was able to try many new recipes! The first was NYE. My friend Lizzie had brought these incredible Bacon-Wrapped Dates to a Christmas party, so they were my NYE appetizer choice. I texted her for the recipe. She replies, "Buy dates. Wrap them in bacon." Really, it's that easy.

      - 1 package dried, pitted dates
      - Uncooked good bacon (like the applewood smoked thick cut kind)
      
     1) Slice bacon into thirds (or halves if you love bacon more than dates). Wrap around
         dates, pressing bacon shut.
     2) Bake at 350* on a sheet covered in foil for 20-25 minutes, or whenever the bacon
         is done. Serve with toothpicks. Or as finger food :)

Let me be the first to tell you- I don't like dates!! But these are too delicious to pass up! You taste the smoky maple deliciousness of the bacon and a hint of sweetness from the dates, but no real 'date' flavor. They won't disappoint, every party I've been to, these have been a hit!

I was encouraged to start this blog to keep track of my cooking adventures. I had a blog in Africa which was a great way to keep my family and friends updated, while having a record for my own self of what I did while I was there. This is different. So many people have blogs, so many people have cooking blogs- that they make their living from!- who wants to read mine? Hence the reason that I have written the first couple of these without really telling anyone that I am writing them. Cool I know.

This is also the reason these first few posts are sans pictures. I hope to be a little more consistent with photographing things I cook, and life in general. Put that photography class to good use! 


No comments:

Post a Comment